One HUGE Tough Business Decision I Made Last Friday
I’m changing the focus of one of my “main” niches. This is a bit hard to explain… and might be hard to understand – Why I did this.
Since 2006 I’ve had a large niche blog targeted at the Home Improvement/Decorating niche. ThatPainterLady.com
I’ve grown this website and it’s list over the years to a nice following. I have loyal fans and they love the weekly newsletter.
The problem is – this niche doesn’t spend a ton of money. I don’t make much of my monthly income off this painting related blog (and it’s list). I’ve finally decided to “stop” chasing after a market that doesn’t pay me what I deserve.
Don’t get me wrong. Three things must be made clear:
- The Decorating – Design market (niche) is a money maker. The DIY – painting market is Not!
- Some of the blogs I currently have – make a ton of money without a list.
- You can have many blogs that make money – BUT – only a few of those blogs should you actually spend the time and effort to have a list -build a following – make personal contact – and send a weekly newsletter.
What hit me smack in the head on Friday… Why don’t I spend my time and effort on the markets that “DO” spend money?
Why don’t I make an effort to build a list and gain a following in THOSE markets?
Here is what I did (and am doing):
- Stop sending the OLD (painting niche) anything new. This list has a nice 7 lesson and free report bribe. I am using these emails to direct the readers to my own painting video tutorial products.
- I am sending the OLD list a few “heads up” emails so they can sign up to the NEW list if the topic interests them.
- I will also set up a “final” email to go out to every one of those getting the 7 free lessons about the “different” New list they can join for more fun and ideas.
- I have two new blogs (set up this weekend) to go with the two older (more established) blogs in this “Decorating Niche”.
- You can find out how to set up and fill a blog with quality content in a day here: Free Content For Websites
- I created a new 20 (ish) page report to give as a bribe for signing up to the NEW list.
- All 4 of these related blogs have the same list sign up form – and will get the same “new bribe” and newsletter.
- My assistant set up the new Aweber list and will start sending the newsletters on Fridays instead of our usual Mondays.
- Why Friday? I checked on my Adsense stats and advertisers spend more money for advertising on Fridays in this specific niche.
I’ve got a gut feeling that this will be a good business decision for my business growth. I’ve resisted this for years – knowing that I should change my focus and actually doing it is a huge step.
- Having a loyal following (Raving Fans) doesn’t always mean you will make a large income.
- I need to have a loyal following – with raving fans – in a niche that spends money.
- I already know which niche (I already have a nice stable grip on this niche) makes me the most monthly income.
- I know which niche isn’t making the best use of my time and efforts.
Once you have been at this online “make money” thing for a few years… you will also have to make tough business decisions. I hope I’ve helped you in some small way to make the “Best” business decisions.