Let’s be clear. An Information Marketer sells information. Your own or other peoples products.
When deciding upon an online business model, information marketing is an option. For many, information marketing is the ideal business. Let’s take a look at what information marketing is – the pros and cons. Then you can decide if this is a model you want to pursue.
What is Information Marketing?
Information marketing is when you create and sell information on a niche topic. While many people consider information products to be digital format only, there really is a wide variety of products you can create and sell.
Information products can be digital:
- Video products – for example a video demonstration or “how to”
- Workbooks – digital downloads that are designed to help a customer work through a task. For example you could create a workbook on how to organize your home from top to bottom.
- Lists and/or resources – you can create checklists, templates, blueprints and even mind maps that people can download to solve a problem or simplify their life.
- Education – You can create a course and deliver it via email or as a large downloadable file.
- Audio – You can interview experts and sell the information or even create an audio book to sell. Or give it away on a podcast.
Information products can also be physical:
Why not take everything you create in digital format and morph it into physical products? Now you have products you can sell on Amazon, eBay and Etsy.
- Books – Kindle and Createspace publishing is HOT. Becoming an author and add credibility to your business
- Video, Audio and eBooks – are easily formatted onto a DVD/CD and sold as physical products.
Take the physical format to the next idea level and create a bundle of products. If your video demonstration tutorial shows a few tools, why not offer the video and the tools together in a bundle? See how easy this is to think about?
Selling Your Own Information Products On Your Own Website
Once you have established a niche market and are learning what that market needs, you can start to think about providing them a solution.
However, there are also drawbacks to information marketing. To maintain success and grow your business you will need to take advantage of many marketing tactics and strategies . This can take both time and money. You’ll also need to manage customers and provide customer service. This isn’t for everyone.
Information marketing can be extremely rewarding.
Marketing information is a powerful concept to get your head around. Once you learn how to market effectively and efficiently you can use that skill to market information.
Free information – give until it hurts and then give more. The rewards for your generous spirit will be astounding
Digital information – put yourself in teaching mode and create a few audio/visual/ebook products and see where it can take your business income.
Physical information – Think of the great information you can package up into physical format and find creative ways to sell on platforms that already have a huge quantity of customers ready to buy products.
My Secret Information Marketer Sauce
Today’s Action Step: You are not going to think of an information product you could create today. I just want you to decide if one of the above ways to create and market information feels right.
Don’t get hung up on the idea that you can’t write. Please do not have a huge anxious moment about putting your voice or face on a product. And… don’t let me hear you with the excuses related to technology.
Everything can be overcome!
I let you in on a little secret. I started my journey about 10 years ago with this book – Silent Sales Machines by Jim Cockrum.
I can honestly say it changed my life. I have no idea what my life would look like if I still had a J.O.B. – but I’m very happy I don’t.
Are you ready to start your journey? You deserve this,