It’s the weekend… and I’m not resting. Nope… I’m Anchor Text Linking. I do this as a habit when I writing a blog post or forum posting. But I do have to set aside huge blocks of time to dive in deep and get new keyword rich anchor text links pointed back to ALL of my blogs and sites.
I thought I’d take a break and tell you exactly what I’m doing to get these powerful links and what tools I am using.
Oh… and I also should tell you that I’m working on getting new links to a few very new blogs as well as some very old blogs and websites that are starting to loose search engine rankings.
In most of my niches – I’m not used to having much competition. 🙂 I’ve been ranking very high for some very targeted keywords – For A Very Long Time. But – in checking my stats – I see some slippage. I have competition… how dare they!
I do just about the same things for new blogs as old…. the big differences are:
- Old blogs don’t take much in the way of NEW links to bump them right back up
- Old blogs need “NEW” keyword research and deep linking to internal pages.
- New blogs just need good old fashioned keyword research and lot’s of new links
- New blogs don’t need to have links to internal pages – as much as just getting ranked for your main keyword.
- Every blog needs internal linking – but that’s not what I’m working on today.
The windows I have open on my browser:
- Google Webmaster Tools – which is just a giant list of every website I own.
- Google Analytics – So I can see which blogs have high traffic and which ones need a boost
- Hittail.com – So I can dig deep into the keywords used to find my old sites. – Are they Money or Information Keywords
The only other tool I have open is Micro Niche Finder – the fastest way to find those Money Keywords that I want to use for Anchor Text today.
Of course I have sites and blogs and squidoo pages and forums open on multiple tabs in my browser.
One more indispensable tool to have on hand… a pad and pencil.
This pad looks like a bad highway map when I’m done with my linking. I list out sites that need love and sites that will give link juice love – and then I start drawing arrows and circles all over the place. It’s a mess.
I probably make this a bit harder on myself because I don’t do ALL the keyword research at once. I just keep messing with my “imperfect” system as I go along – It seems to work for me.
I don’t link to every site from each other. Linking every site you own with ever site you own (did you get that?) is just going to cause Google and other search engines confusion. And a confused mind does nothing. We want the search engines to do Something!
Some of the steps I do in this marathon of linking:
- I look at every site and find places to add links – Duh! 🙂
- Some sites get links in the sidebar (using BlogRoll)
- Some sites get links from blog posts with Keyword Anchor Text
- Some sites get both
This is not Rocket Science! It’s not even “hard work”… it’s labor (and brain) intensive.
I’ve covered what I do with my own sites (with a little forum thrown in for good measure)…
I’m still working on this project… it may take a few days. I told you it was a marathon…. but I don’t do this marathon stuff all that often… maybe 3 times a year.
After I’ve completely exhausted my own sites – I’ll start to look for off-site places to link from. I use a nice subscription from Angela Edwards that lists great places to get back links every month – Angela’s Links
I use it in conjunction with another subscription called Automate Angela’s Links. Which isn’t really automation it just helps speed up the process by giving you some things to insert into RoboForm – which does make things a lot easier on the brain. 🙂
And then I will need to write articles for the directories. Yes – I do that as well… I don’t like it – but I know it works. I do have to be my own taskmaster at this Anchor Text Linking Strategy.